Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year's

For New Year's we headed up to the Baker cabin.

Equipped with my helmet and kneepads, I felt fearless, ready to get up on the snowboard that weekend, and you could even say a little excited about practicing for two days in row.

The first day was pretty fun, and Tim came up with Kristin and myself, while his hardcore ski buddies went backcountry skiing.

The next day, however, was very painful. Not only did I fall getting off the lift (which hadn't happened at all the previous day), but I also had trouble with turns. The falls were also harsh, as the snow had turned into ice. After the first run, Tim walkie-talkied us and said the snow was softer up on the mountain. In a bold move, Kristin and I decided to take chair 8 up to the top of the hill.

All in all it took us 45 min to get down. Pretty pathetic, but we had fun though.

That night we got ready for New Year's. It was dejavu from last year's New Year's, as a group of about 10 of us wandered around the streets of Glacier trying to find a random party. We finally bumped into a so-called party with a bonfire surrounded by a bunch of what seemed to be Warren Miller-movie characters. Not to mention that we were older than the rest of those kids.

Our next stop was a friend's party. Just like the first party, we were amidst ski and snowboard bums. Upon joining some strangers under a big Costco-size umbrella (it was raining), we met "The Champion," who had been introduced to us as "Timmy the Teddy Bear" the night before, at the local bar. Timmy the Teddy Bear had all sorts of local gossip for us (love triangles, etc) as well as some interesting life stories (his family owns the driving range and mink farm in Glacier). I very much enjoyed the gossip, even though I didn't know any of those people. I told him I'd like to come back to Glacier for some more juicy gossip...and perhaps even more snowboarding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is all true! Except I found out that Tim was just the messenger of the Chair 8 idea--it was really Nate's idea that you and I head up there. Hehe...

Where was I for the Teddy Bear stories??? Oh yeah, talking to someone ;-)...