Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Day 2 in Germany: A Sad, Sad Day...

After dodging jetlag, Tim and I enjoyed a full day in beautiful Munich. We walked around the Altstadt (old part of the city) and visited a couple of churches and the Residenz. We also made some stops to go shopping. We came home exhausted, but after about an hr to rest and take a shower, we headed off to one of the public viewings of the World Cup games. We went to the same open field where they have Oktoberfest. There was a big screen set up and they were selling food and beer. The crowd was a sea of black, red and yellow; everybody was animated and chanting their usual soccer songs. Germany was playing well, and as far as I could tell, it dominated the game. First half ended, and gave way to a more exciting second half. After over 90 min and still a 0-0 score, I really thought that it would go down to penalty kicks, and that for sure Germany had it, because Lehmann, the German goalie, was doing awesome. Well, we all know how this game ended: during the last couple of minutes of overtiime, Italy scored. I heard gasps and when I looked around, I saw looks of stun and desbelief. And then came the second Italy goal. It was over for Germany. It was one of the longest and saddest walks in history...going back home we joined the multitude of disappointed, defeated fans. In my honest and impartial opinion, Germany played better soccer and deserved to win. But that might well be me hoping to watch GERMANY in the final game playing IN GERMANY. But I know that's not going to happen. My only consolation (and trust me, it is very small) is that tomorrow the German jerseys will probably go on sale, as it was the case with Brazil jerseys after their loss last Sunday. I still wish Germany had made it though...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kelly, Du bist in Deutschland!!!
Schöne Reise!!!
Marta

David said...

Well, outside of you cursing your favorite teams, sounds like the trip is amazing. Wish I was there. Don't you wish I was there with you and Tim? Ha ha. Enjoy the rest of the trip. See you in a couple of months.

Oh, by the way, I tried to book that fancy lodge, but there doesn't appear to be any rooms left. I'm going to call them tomorrow.