Thursday, July 06, 2006

Day 3 in Germany: We Got World Cup Tickets!

After working until 2:30 in the morning, I got up at around 11. I was tired. Winny and his roommate Anja let us borrow their bikes, so off we went to explore the city on our bikes.

The problem is that despite my Chinese genes, I have horrible bike riding skills. I saw many a senior citizens pass me, and the worst blow came when an 60 year old lady with a rusty bike that was about to fall apart passed me as well.

We went to the Olympic Stadium, where they are holding a Fan Fest for soccer fans. During game days/nights, they show the games on a giant screen that stands in the middle of a sorta amphitheater. We had lunch there in the beergarden.

After that we decided to ride around the neighborhood and I went to the grocery store for the third time today. Don't ask me why, but I feel that grocery stores are kind of a tourist attraction of their own.

We came home and got ready for the Portugal x France game, for which we had tickets. Getting to the stadium was quite a track. Fortunately we got on the train before the hundred of fans tried to get on. Diesel took some cool pics on his blog. The game in itself was not so exciting, since all of the teams we were rooting for (Brazil, US and Germany) are out. We sat behind the Portuguese fans, and honestly, despite all their animated cheers, it was pathetic to see them rooting for their team. I never thought that there was any chance that they would win it.

Being there though was quite the experience. The World Cup is, after all, one of the BIGGEST sporting events in the world, and we were part if it!

Getting home wasn't as bad as we thought, as we were able to hop on the train on our first try.

I worked till 3:30 am that night. Work sucks.

No comments: