Thursday, June 01, 2006

Pinot Noir and the Worst Sandwich EVER


Last weekend, Tim surprised me with a trip to the Willemette Valley down in Oregon. The region lies about 30 min from Portland and has several dozen wineries where some awesome American Pinot Noirs have been produced.

Our friend Koko drove down to Portland with us, as she was going to a wedding by Hood River that weekend. We decided to get lunch in Portland at this cool-looking brewery place. Koko and Diesel had muscles and fries and a burger and both liked the food. I, however, decided to go "light and healthy" and ordered the "veggie grinder." Now, I had NO IDEA what a grinder was, but was told that it was a Midwestern hot sub sandwich, which was good enough for me. As the waiter delivered my food, I knew I was in for a bad case of diarrhea (if not worse). The sub was loaded with onions and peppers that had been smothered in butter. I could SEE it and TASTE it, and although it was completely disgusting, I managed to eat half of it. I began to feel queasy shortly after.

The weekend now seems hazy to me. I remember drinking a lot of wine and eating a lot o free food/snacks, mostly cheese and crackers. I also consumed an insane amount of prosciutto. I haven't eaten pork in almost 10 yrs, but somehow, could not stop myself from chowing down the disgusting pieces of meat. Dehydrated, wined out, still suffering from the delayed effects of a sandwich gone bad, and now suffering from a pork overload, I spent the weekend feeling queasy and fighting off a stomach ache.

It was the suck.

As I said, nothing about last weekend is very clear to me. Next thing I know, we are coming back with 2 cases of wine. I am still recovering from my stomach ache, and I'm sure that pigging out at Taco Time tonight did nothing to improve my condition.

No comments: