Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Proposal

Ok, so everybody knows, Tim proposed and now I FINALLY have my ring. The way Tim proposed was very well thought out and romantic, and I was really happy about how he did it. However, after listening (ok, it was more like eavesdropping) to his conversation with his mom, where he recounted the details of the big night, I was very disappointed by the story. Girls know that "the proposal" is all about the story, and to listen to Tim tell "the story," one would think that it was a lame proposal. Not only that. During his non-chanlant account of "the story," he purposely omitted several details that prove that I, Kelly, KNEW that he was on to something. So I believe it is important for me to retell the story of our proposal and let the world know that I knew. Throughout the below narrative, you will find the words "I KNEW/SUSPECTED/THOUGHT" inserted into the instances, where I, Kelly Chow, knew/suspected/thought that this was going to happen.

Last week was a tough week. The last three weeks, actually. We have been working on the launch of our client's biggest campaign of the year, so with a short week (due to Thanksgiving) and an important campaign, I found myself very stressed out.

And Tim, of course, didn't help the situation by bugging me about leaving work early on Wed, so we could head out to the Baker cabin for Thanksgiving. He wanted me to leave at 4:30, which I told him was impossible. The little stinker IM'ed me and told me he was stopping by my office. Miraculously, I was able to wrap up my work and get ready to be picked up.

I had told a friend of mine, that I KNEW how Tim would proposed, and to prove my clairvoyant powers, I was going to e-mail her all the details of my future proposal. I never got around to do this because work had been so busy, but I KNEW.

It was right before I left work, that I almost messaged my friend to tell her that I THOUGHT it was going to happen that night.

Tim had told me that we were going to meet up with our friend Brian, so that I could give him a bag that he needed for his trip to Thailand (Brian and his gf were leaving town that night). Tim said we were going to meet him at the market, which made me inquire (because I KNEW): "Why is Brian meeting us at the Pike Place Market?" It seemed to be an odd meeting place, since neither Brian nor his gf lived close to the Market. Tim's response was: "Because he's getting some food there," to which I asked: "Why does he need to get food for Thaliand?," Tim (a bit annoyed): "Because....he wants to get it for the plane, ok?" I decided to drop it. A guy can't know you're smarter than him, but I KNEW. I know Tim wanted to kill me at that point, but since he was going to ask me to marry him, he figured he'd put up with me.

Anyhow, upon arrriving at the market, Tim said we were going to rendezvous with BJ in front of the butcher's. Now, THAT's what I call a highly suspicious meeting place." So I had to ask: "Why at the butcher?" No response. The little wheels in my head started moving, and I was trying to remember if the butcher's was anywhere close to Maximilian's, the French restaurant where Tim and I had one of our first big dates. He had told me a while ago that he would propose at a place that had meaning to us.

We got the the butcher's but no sign of Brian. Suspicions risen again, so I finally said: "Brian is not coming, is HE? What are you up to, Diesel?" (because, that's right, I KNEW).

Diesel confirmed that BJ was not going to show up, but that he had arranged for us to have a cooking class with Willy, the restaurant's chef.

It was a really awesome experience. We went to the kitchen with the chef and he showed us how to make salmon with wine/butter sauce (which as it turns out, was the same meal Tim and I had when we had our date there). We also made green beans and our favorite, foie gras. 45 min into the class and almost done with our meal, Tim excused himself to go to the bathroom. I was helping the chef with the finishing touches, when Tim tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned around, said something to me (which I am not allowed to reveal, he says it's between the two of us), got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. My answer was "OF COURSE" ("yes" is just overrated).

The chef then had us follow him into the restaurant, where we ate the meal we had just cooked. I then saw my brother, then my dad, then my mom. My whole family was there! As it turns out, Tim had invited my family and close friends to a little reception on the second floor of the restaurant. It was lovely, and I'm glad I got to share that special moment with the important people in my life.

After the party died out, we headed up to Baker with our friend Corinne. It would have been a perfect night if it hadn't been for the two emergency stops we had to make, so that I could puke. I am convinced it was the one whole pound of butter that was in the wine sauce. But hey, it tasted good.

No comments: